Do you love to travel? I know that I love to travel, be it via road trip, plane, or by sea! Travel has had my heart since I was a little girl. My grandparents used to take me with them frequently to different states, and we would use their 5th wheel. I have super fond memories of traveling as a child, and like I said... it has my heart! So today, I'm going to chat a little bit about how to travel with your essential oils!
Whether you are driving somewhere, cruising on a ship, or flying, know that you will be bringing your oils with you! Here are some travel tips to keep in mind before you hit the road!
Before you Travel:
- Start taking the On Guard Protective Blend SoftGels to help boost your immune system. These are really awesome and I'm so glad we can consume them in ready made capsules!
- Pack for success! In my carry-on bag I make sure to take my little peppermint beadlets (think teeny tiny essential oil capsule) to keep myself alert and smelling minty fresh! If you don't want to deal with the extra hassle of TSA maybe going through your oils longer, just take a couple multi-purpose oils in your carry-on and check the rest in your suitcase, or put all of them in your suitcase.
Guidelines for flying:
- If you’re only bringing a carry-on bag, you can still take your oils with you (15 mL is way below the TSA limit of 3 oz.). You can only bring as many with you as will fit in one quart-size bag, however. (Remember, this is one quart-size bag per person.) Of course, you can bring whatever oils you would like in your checked luggage, but be sure to still seal them in baggies to protect against spills.
- Because essential oils have potent scents that may irritate others, remember not to open them while on the plane. If you have an oil that you would like to use, put them on before boarding, or put a small amount on a tissue or a terracotta pendant. You can even prepare wipes or diluted sprays ahead of time.
Ideas for traveling by car:
- Keep a small kit in the car by putting your most-used oils in 5/8 dram vials. (Use the doTERRA key chain or find a small padded case to keep them in.) You can put this in the glove compartment, or in a seat pocket. Trust us—you’ll want easy access to your most-used oils while you’re on the road.
- Feeling sleepy? Put some Peppermint on a cotton ball and leave it in your air vents. Or, for an extra boost, pull over briefly and place a drop of Wild Orange and a drop of Peppermint in your palm. Put your hands over your nose and inhale deeply. Get your travel buddies to do the same. If you have some time, try creating your own air freshener as included in our past class idea here. Of course, if the driver is feeling very tired, it’s also probably a good idea to stop driving and take a break.
- For the occasional motion sickness, try using DigestZen, Ginger, or Peppermint to calm the stomach.
Oils great for travel in general:
- DigestZen. Keep your digestive system on track as you eat out at different restaurants.
- Balance. For the stressful moments of traveling, such as getting on the airport and through security on time.
- On Guard. Helps to support your immune system while traveling. It’s also great to put in a homemade hand cleanser.
- Extra tips: If you need Deep Blue Rub, On Guard toothpaste, or the doTERRA shampoo and conditioner, but you’re only taking a carry-on, try bringing the sample sizes instead of the tubes! You can also do this with oils, and bring them in small sample containers.
Wishing you safe travels in your next adventure!